Friday, July 31, 2009
Looking for a way to lower blood pressure, cholesterol, blood glucose, and risks for life-threatening chronic diseases? People with many health conditions, including diabetes, need to closely monitor their blood pressure, cholesterol and blood glucose. With this in mind, the American Diabetes Association released its list of diabetes superfoods earlier this week. The list offers 10 foods that have nutrients necessary for good diabetes management, including fiber, potassium, healthy fats, magnesium and antioxidants. The nutrients included in these foods can promote good health and help prevent some of diabetes serious complications, such as heart attacks and strokes.
The beauty of this list of superfoods is that all of the items have a low glycemic index (GI) and provide key nutrients–such as calcium, potassium, fiber, magnesium, and vitamins A, C and E–these nutrients are often lacking in a typical Western diet. The following list comes directly from the American Diabetes Association:
1. Beans. Whether you prefer kidney, pinto, navy or black beans, you can’t find more nutritious foods than beans. Their high fiber content gives you nearly one-third of your daily requirement in just 1/2 cup. Beans are also are good sources of magnesium and potassium, important nutrients for people with diabetes. Although they are considered starchy vegetables, a 1/2 cup provides as much protein as an ounce of meat without the saturated fat. To learn about cooking dried beans, see Cool Beans.
2. Dark green leafy vegetables. These powerhouse foods such as spinach, collards, and kale are so low in calories and carbohydrates, you can eat as much as you want.
3. Citrus fruit. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons and limes provide part of your daily dose of soluble fiber–important for heart health–and vitamin C.
4. Sweet potatoes. This starchy vegetable is packed full of fiber and vitamin A (as carotenoids)–important for vision health. Try these in place of regular potatoes for a lower GI alternative.
5. Berries. Blueberries, strawberries and other varieties are packed with antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. Make a parfait alternating the fruit with light, non-fat yogurt for a new favorite dessert.
6. Tomatoes. Everyone can find a favorite with this old standby. No matter how you like your tomatoes–pureed, raw, or in a sauce–you’re eating vital nutrients like vitamin C, iron, and vitamin E.
7. Fish with omega-3s. Salmon, albacore tuna, mackerel, halibut, and herring are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for heart health. Stay away from the breaded and deep fried fish. They don’t count toward your goal of 6-9 ounces of fish per week.
8. Whole grains. These grains, such as pearled barley and oatmeal, are loaded with fiber, potassium, magnesium, chromium, omega-3 fatty acids and folate. The germ and bran of the whole grain contain the important nutrients a grain product has to offer. Processed grains, like bread made from enriched wheat flour, do not have these vital nutrients.
9. Nuts. An ounce of nuts can go a long way in providing key healthy fats along with hunger management. Nuts also give you a dose of magnesium and fiber. Some nuts and seeds, such as walnuts and flax seeds, also contain omega-3 fatty acids.
10. Fat-free milk and yogurt. Everyone knows dairy can help build strong bones and teeth. In addition to calcium, many fortified dairy products are a good source of vitamin D. More research is emerging on the connection between vitamin D and good health.
at 3:40 AM
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Twentieth Century Fox sued on behalf of Temple, then aged eight, on the grounds that Greene had implied she played deliberately to "a public of licentious old men, ready to enjoy the fine flavour of such an unripe, charming little creature"
Graham was warned
faced a prison sentence
only solution was to find a country without extradition. They chose Mexico
likely Shirley Temple never learned that it was partly thanks to her that, during his exile, Graham Greene wrote one of his best books
at 2:27 PM
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Friday, July 24, 2009
tip will only work with Photoshop CS
keep in mind when resizing is to try to do it only once on an image. Many people will resize repeatedly as they search for the perfect fit for a design element, and then end up with an image with a lot of blur. It's always better to experiment on a duplicate of the image. Then, when you've settled on the final dimensions, you can go back to the original and resize it just once.
at 3:42 PM
Start with your selected photo.
STEP 1 - Duplicate The Background Layer
First duplicate the background layer. Go Layer> New> Layer via Copy. Now we have 2 layers, the Background Layer, and Layer 1.
STEP 2 - Desaturate The Photo
With Layer 1 selected, choose Image> Adjustments> Desaturate. This gives us a grayscale version of the photo.
STEP 3 - Duplicate Layer 1
At this point you must duplicate Layer 1. With Layer 1 selected, go Layer> New> Layer via Copy. Now we have 3 layers, the Background Layer, Layer 1 and Layer 2.
Next we'll be working with Layer 2.
Adobe Photoshop tutorial - Turn A Photo Into A Sketch For Making Coloring Books
STEP 4 - Invert Layer 2
With Layer 2 selected, go Image> Adjustments> Invert. This will make your photo look like a negative.
STEP 5 - Change The Layers Blend Mode To Color Dodge
In the Layers Palette change the Layers Blend Mode for this layer (Layer 2) to Color Dodge. This will make your photo almost completely white, but don't panic!
STEP 6 - Apply The Gaussian Blur Filter
Go Filter> Blur> Gaussian Blur. When the dialog box appears start by moving the Radius Slider all the way to the left. Once you've done that you can start to slowly move it to the right.
Now here comes some real Photoshop magic — because as you move the slider your sketch will start to appear. .. experiment and make sure you are getting the desired effect.
Bigger numbers create a more pronounced effect, but at some point this will turn your sketch back into a photo, which you don't want, so when you reach that point simply nudge the slider to the left just a little and that should do it!
For my apple sketch I used a Radius setting of 9.8 pixels.
Experiment With Settings
This technique will also work with the Motion Blur Filter and the Radial Blur Filter. The reason I mention this is sometimes an image will not work as expected, and so you have to try different methods.
Calling All Cezannes
Now print out your best sketches and create some nice coloring books, then give the kids some crayons
at 3:35 PM
To begin open your image
create a new layer by going Layer> New> Layer.
On this layer you will place the type by choosing a font and typing the words of the phrase you want to wrap.
select a font in Photoshop go Window> Character. In the palette you'll see a list of your installed fonts. Make sure to tweak the settings so that the spacing and size and color are all appropriate
Bend That Text
-22 to be very close to the shape of the curve of the cup's lip
at 3:17 PM
The easiest way to fix an overexposed photo is to open it in Photoshop and choose Image> Adjustments> Shadow/Highlight (CS-onl
You'll see an immediate change in your photo and it will probably be too extreme, but just use this setting as a starting point. Photoshop ships with defaults that are often way over the top. Just play with the Amount Slider and the Tonal Width Slider in both the Shadows and the Highlights until you find just the right balance.
at 2:38 PM
Thursday, July 23, 2009
All of a sudden my external USB 2 outlet crashed, and i could not transfer photos from my my EOS camera . Win XP kept reporting a device malfunction and the drive was unrecognised. Device manager kept showing an 'unknown device' and any attempt to reinstall or update drivers would fail.
Shutdown your PC. And then physically disconnect it from the mains power supply. This apparently clears any residual power on the motherboard. Leave it disconnected for a while (I recommend 15 minutes as that's how long I waited).
Also, hold the power on\off button in for about a minute. Flushes any
Reconnect everything, boot up your PC and enjoy your fully functioning USB 2 ports and devices again!
at 12:48 AM
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Four in the morning, four more at night. That's eight big mustard-yellow capsules every day. They contain nothing but turmeric,
had two bad hips; the joints didn't form quite right as he grew up. They degenerated and started to hurt as he entered his 60s. When he first started coming to me, I gave him the usual anti-inflammatory medications we use for arthritis pain. He had no side effects, but he wasn't helped much either, so he stopped the pills and lived with the pain. Then he found turmeric.
Soon enough, there was no pain at all. And his lower back and hands, which ached before, were also now pain-free
at 1:53 PM
sold kidneys and other organs through dealers in the capital, Baghdad
desperate for the $3,000 he would get from the sale of a kidney there.
"I have taken a loan to build my house," he told
"I got a kidney for my cousin through dealers
"It cost us more than $15,000. Most of it went to dealers who take two-thirds of the amount
at 1:24 PM